OFF THE BEATEN TRACK TOURS, Hosted by Michael & Siobhan Reidy
In 2017, we started taking groups “off-the-beaten-track” in Ireland, and had A LOT of fun in the process. We added a Scotland tour in 2020, but Covid had other plans. Our sold-out 2020 tours were cancelled, and for more than two years, Covid restrictions kept us from traveling. But we finally hosted our first post-Covid tour of southern Ireland in October, 2022, and we’re raring to go again…our April tour heads north from Dublin Airport, and in October we’ll finally get to Scotland (tour is sold out). We’re working now on 2024, with tentative details of the April tour below.
If you want to kiss the Blarney Stone, look for leprechauns, and spend your nights at tourist-only pubs, we are NOT the tour for you. But, if you want to spend time with the locals, see the best sights at a relaxed pace, stay at charming small hotels, and hang out at real pubs and restaurants rather than tour bus mills, we might be what you’re looking for. We spend at least two nights at every stop to help you get a real feel for each area, and we rarely start our days before 9:00 am…we are not rushing around the country trying to hit all the supposed ‘must-sees,” but we will definitely show you the best of Ireland.
TOURS FILL UP QUICKLY. USE THE “CONTACT US” PAGE IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE ADDED TO OUR EMAIL LIST TO RECEIVE INFORMATION DIRECTLY…WE’D LOVE TO HAVE YOU JOIN US!
Ireland, April 2024
Tentative Itinerary: 2 nights at the Step House Hotel, Borris, Co. Carlow; 2 nights at The Bayview Hotel, Ballycotton, Co. Cork; 2 nights at The Lansdowne, Kenmare, Co. Kerry; 3 nights at The Old Ground Hotel, Ennis, Co. Clare; and 3 nights at Brooks Hotel, Dublin
- The stunning Powerscourt House & Garden and the even more stunning early Christian monastic site at Glendalough
- Kilkenny Castle and the medieval town surrounding it
- Lunch and learn along the River Nore in the tiny, but very historic, village of St. Mullins
- Up close and personal visits to some of Ireland’s best artisans
- The breathtaking mountain passes and valleys of the little-visited Beara Peninsula
- The fascinating former garrison and prison that is Spike Island off the Cork Coast
- Lunch and folklore in the Gaeltacht village of Ballyvourney
- The indescribable beauty of Killarney National Park
- The fascinating history and sights of the remote Loop Head Peninsula
- A guided walk in the mysterious Burren
- Tour and tasting at Ireland’s first modern day whiskey bonder
- The very authentic (and supposedly haunted) Leap Castle and a visit with it’s entertaining owner
- The very evocative Kilmainham Gaol, where the leaders of the 1916 uprising were martyred and the fascinating Glasnevin Cemetery where they and most other Irish heroes and heroines are buried
- Plus great food and pubs, music, and so much more…
Fourth of July: CLOSED
Memorial Day and Labor Day: CLOSED
Christmas Eve: Last orders at 7:30; CLOSED when it falls on a Sunday or Monday
Christmas Day: CLOSED
New Year’s Eve: Last orders at 8:30; CLOSED when it falls on a Sunday or Monday
New Year’s Day: CLOSED
ADDITIONAL CLOSURES MAY OCCUR. CALL THE RESTAURANT FOR UP-TO-DATE INFO
Stout Fest 2023 – Date TBA, 3:00-8:00 pm
Fingers crossed we’ll have enough staff to bring back the popular event with live music, a limited beer-centric menu, and all 12 taps devoted to the best stouts on the market
Boxing Day – December 26th, 2023
Celebrate the Irish way! Traditional Irish breakfast and live music served up 10 am – 2 pm….fingers crossed!
Nollaig na mBan (Women’s Christmas) – TBA for 2024
Whew…You made Christmas happen for friends and family, and now it’s time for your own celebration! The Irish Rover revives a long-standing tradition of Nollaig na mBan — or Women’s Christmas — with a party just for you. Live Irish music by female musicians, drink specials, and a great excuse for a GNO!
ST. PATRICK’S DAY – March 17th, 2023
Tent Party 11 am – 9 pm….Cover Charge $10/person.
Under 21 MUST be accompanied by parent.
OUDOOR ONLY EVENT. There will be NO SEATING IN THE RESTAURANT OR BAR.
Tables inside and outside of the heated tent will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Tables outside the tent will have patio heaters but no cover in case of rain or snow.
Food & drink (including beer, liquor, wine, soda and water) can be ordered and paid for at the bar. Food will be in carryout containers, and you will be texted when it is ready for pick up. A 20% gratuity will be added to all inside orders.
Beer, sodas, water, tee shirts, and brown soda bread can also be purchased at the outdoor beer truck. Beer Truck sales are CASH ONLY
Reservations, call-ahead seating and online orders are NOT available on St. Patrick’s Day.
2023 Musical Lineup: TBA
Photos by John Nation